For the lemon & basil posset:
300ml double cream
10 fresh basil leaves
75g caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
½ vanilla pod split lengthways
For the citrus jelly:
3g leaf gelatine
50ml grapefruit juice
50ml orange juice
2 oranges peeled and segmented
2 pink grapefruits peeled and segmented
You will also need:
8 x sherry glasses
Lemon Tuile to decorate
Make the posset:
- Set the sherry glasses at an angle on a tray. Put the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the basil leaves, then cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and leave to infuse for at least 1 hour.
- Strain the infused cream into another saucepan and add the sugar and lemon zest. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the pan and drop in the empty pod too. Bring to the boil, then simmer over a gently heat for 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the lemon juice. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a jug. Pour 40g of posset into each of the glasses. Carefully transfer the tray to the fridge and leave to set for 1 hour.
While the posset is setting, make the jelly:
- Soak the gelatine in a bowl with enough ice-cold water to just cover it for a few minutes until softened, then drain and squeeze off any excess water.
- Put the Light Syrup, orange and grapefruit juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the softened gelatine, then strain into a jug and leave to semi set for about 20 minutes.
To assemble & finish:
- Take the glasses from the fridge and place up right on a tray. Gently pour in the citrus jelly until each glass is half full. Carefully place 2–3 segments each of orange and grapefruit into the jelly.
- Top up with the remaining jelly, then transfer to the fridge to fully set for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the glasses out of the fridge and decorate with pieces of lemon tuile. Serve immediately.