You will need: Puff Pastry, Fresh Pineapple and Ice-cream
Equipment : Tart moulds approximately 9cm diameter
80g Salted Butter (cubed and at room temperature)
Pinch Black Pepper
½ Vanilla pod
- Place the caster sugar in a pan and cook to an amber caramel.
- Remove from the heat, add the water and mix well. Add the butter and black pepper to the caramel and mix until combined.
- Fill each mould 1/3rd. Neatly cut and core pineapple using a pastry cutter so it fits inside the mould and place a piece into each.
- Cut discs of pastry large enough to fit around the pineapple rings. Cover the pineapple with discs of puff pastry disc (So it wraps over the fruit rather than sitting on top of the mould)
- Cook at 200’C for 15 minutes and then reduce to 180c for a further 10 minutes, until the pastry is golden all over.
125g Caster sugar
38g Unsalted butter
225g Double cream
1 Vanilla pod (split & scraped)
- Place the caster sugar in a pan and cook to the amber dry caramel.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add to the caramel, stir in.
- Simultaneously boil the double cream and vanilla.
- Slowly add the cream to the caramel. Stir continuously.
- When the mixture is smooth and all the cream is incorporated, remove from the heat and pass through a fine strainer.
Turn the tarte tatin upside down onto the plate. Drizzle caramel sauce onto the plate and a ball of ice-cream on top.